What is breathwork and why should you care? It’s more than breathing exercises. It’s a total shift from everything you know… to everything you can be.
Whew. Where do I begin?
Let’s start with my first breathwork session before I became a breathwork practitioner. I didn’t know why, but I was being called to breathing techniques and how they were serving me in a positive way. I had started having panic attacks (had no idea I was a panicky person) and the only way I could self-soothe was through breathing. Slowing my exhale to bring my heart rate down.
My Encounter With Breathwork As Therapy
I signed up for Steph Magenta’s online breathwork class. I didn’t know her or anyone on the call, so it was just me feeling into my body.
It was my first encounter with conscious connected breathing and it was slow to start. My brain was in full chatter and I kept worrying about doing it right. Then suddenly, my brain switched off, I sank into my body, and I let go.
I started crying uncontrollably. WTF? Why was I crying? I didn’t even know. There was no connecting point with any trauma, it just started releasing from deep within me. I felt the immense release of pressure after the breathe. My mental clarity was sharp, my energy was calm and focused. Something had shifted inside me and I needed to know more.
This was a direct link to my health – physical, emotional, mental, spiritual – and I wanted to carry this technique with me into life. I wanted to share it with the world. I was being called to breathwork.
The Breath As Our Lifelong Companion
The most beautiful analogy was presented to me via my breathwork teachers at Integrative Breath. The breath is the thread that connects life and death. From the moment we are born and take our first breath, to the moment we die, exhaling for the last time. The breath is our lifelong companion that carries us through every moment in our lives.
If we allow it, the breath brings us into present moment awareness, the only place where life actually exists. If we allow it, the breath shows us exactly what is holding us back from living in our most high vibrational alignment, in full health and wellbeing. If we allow it, the benefits of the breath – the inhale and exhale – can give us the clarity we have been seeking in every aspect of our lives. It is the ultimate teacher.
Take the next step with breathwork.
Breathwork Changed My Life
This is no grand claim. It has literally changed me and changed my life. I can never go back to who I was before, because who I was before breathwork was only a small portion of the ME I felt safe to show.
Through the breath, I have found the confidence to stand in my full power. I have connected my mind and body in a way that I never dreamed possible. I have developed a practice that not only heals me consistently on an emotional level, but also on a physical, mental, and spiritual level. I have learned how to exist in the present moment and how to safely release all that does not serve me.
This practice in the breath has been everything I have waited for my whole life… without even knowing I needed it. Trippy, right? Totally. And entering altered states of consciousness is also 100% possible without drugs. We are the keys to everything. It all exists in us. Our breath is the route to absolute awareness.
Different Types Of Breathwork
Breathwork comes in different shapes and sizes:
- Wim Hof breathing
- Pranayama breathwork (what I was most familiar with through yoga)
- Holotropic breathwork
- Shamanic breathwork
- Transformational breathwork
- Biodynamic breathwork
- Breathwork as a tool to enter altered states
- Breathwork for mental health
The list goes on. I started learning more about the practices as therapy for self healing and inner peace. Each type of breathwork came back to the same root… it helps develop a deep mind body connection by being a direct link to the autonomic nervous system.
Conscious Connected Breathwork
The breathing technique that I practice most often and for the deepest transformation is conscious connected breathwork. This is a circular breathwork session where the inhale and exhale and equally connected and flowing with no breaks or breath holds in between. It ignites an energy flow and point of focus that can take us away from the monkey mind and into the body.
The breathwork classes start off with nose breathing – in and out through the nose – and then switch to mouth breathing – through an open mouth – as we start to elevate into the depth of the practice.
Many people experience feelings of calm and relaxation immediately upon starting with the circular breath. Others battle and it takes time for them to sink into the body and the heart space. Each person is different, but there are no wrong answers here. Your experience is your own and it is there to teach you what you need to learn in that moment.
The Benefits Of Breathwork
There are so many benefits of breathwork, but let’s just list a few of the more prominent ones:
- Feelings of relaxation, balance, and serenity
- Emotional reflection and release
- The ability to let go of past trauma by activating the trauma response
- The ability to reflect on anxiety and depression from an observer’s point of view
- Enhanced feelings of clarity in all aspects of life (aha moments aplenty!)
- Expansion of consciousness and seeing how we show up in the world
- Creation of a deeper awareness of self
- A bottom up approach to therapy, body first
- Incredible support through shared experience in the breathwork group
- An opportunity to find inner peace and build self-love
I am living and breathing breathwork and it has become my way of life. You could say that I went through an entire rebirthing process. Deep transformation and releasing of trauma that has now led me to the ME I am today.
Where I breathe to feel, and I breathe to heal.
What Does A Breathwork Session Look Like
My breathwork classes vary in length, but the format is the same. From the moment someone signs up for the practice, they are consciously acknowledged and welcomed. Often, my choice in music (yes, the sessions are set to music – how cool?) changes in alignment with whoever is going to be present. There is something there for everyone.
Whether the breathwork circle is hosted online or in person, the practice is the same. The only difference is that during in-person sessions, there is the opportunity for intuitive touch to aid the process of release, and there is also the shared energy of the room.
- We take a moment to come into presence in the shared experience of the breathing practice
- I explain more about the practice – whether it’s your first or tenth breathwork class, it’s important to have the structure in place for everyone’s feeling of safety and support
- We welcome what is there for us in that moment
- I demonstrate the breathing techniques that we will be using and after some intention setting and presencing, we dive right into the practice
- As I said, the sessions are set to music. A consciously curated playlist of songs that move and evoke an emotional response
- As a practitioner, it’s my role to guide you through the practice and to ensure you feel supported at all times
- The conscious connected breathwork takes us on a journey and we open ourselves up to whatever is there for us
- After the session, I offer time and space to share experiences or to sit and hold space for one another as we process what has just happened
- I offer aftercare options and stand by for anyone who needs assistance after the breathe
How I can Support Your Breathwork Journey
I currently only offer group breathwork sessions. As a mother first and foremost, the biggest gift I can give my kids is time. For this reason, I don’t offer one-to-one sessions at present, as time is my most valuable asset.
However, this practice is fundamentally necessary for society and for the evolution of the human race. This work is so important in shifting consciousness, and it’s my deepest honour to offer that to anyone wanting to step into healing, emotional release, deeper spiritual fulfilment, or simply healthier practices for themselves.
Breathe With Me
Sign up to my mailing list to stay up to date with the types of breathwork sessions, workshops, and retreats on offer. The current breathwork menu is as follows:
Online group breathwork sessions online via Zoom
- These take place fairly regularly, generally once every two weeks
- All details are shared via email or over social media
In-person group breathwork sessions at a disclosed venue within or around Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
- Locations vary and will be disclosed as and when the session takes place
- In-person sessions will be super-special events that take place once a month, with the possibility of becoming more regular
Breathwork workshops in or around Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
- A half-day or full-day workshop where the fundamentals of breathwork can be shared and practiced within a chosen theme
- Hosted in a magical location where we can all get closer to nature
- They will form part of a transformational self healing journey that could include yoga, breathwork, meditation, movement medicine, hiking and spending time in nature
Corporate wellness breathwork sessions
- These are tailored to the business and involve a breathwork presentation, breathing practices, and the offering of practical, usable tools
- They can be offered on a regular basis (quarterly, monthly, fortnightly) to help employees balance work and life in a healthy way
- Employees will learn how to self heal and cope better by developing their own mind body connection
- Employees will learn how to cope with stress
- Employees will learn how to cope with overwhelm
- Employees will learn how to unlock their own potential through the breath
Discover how breathwork can help you.
Start Your Breathwork Journey Today
I am here to support and guide your breathwork journey.
Sign up to my mailing list to receive regular updates on breathwork classes, workshops, and retreats. For corporate clients, please contact me to create a tailored breathwork wellbeing plan that can support you and your teams.